Errata: The repeats instructions in the patterns uploaded January 21, 2021 had an error. The repeat instructions should have called for repeating 3-18, not 1 -16. New pdfs are available for download.
Like most of my patterns released six plus years ago, the Twisted Trellis pattern was in need of an update. I first released this pattern back in 2012 and it remains a pattern I really enjoy the look of. I’ve updated and cleaned up the pattern to what should be a cleaner, easier to use layout and have made some minor modifications to the brim.
I also felt like this pattern deserved a matching cowl. It may become obvious looking at my patterns, but I really like matching hat and cowl sets. I like having cowls in a variety of different sizes and styles for walking my sweet dog from fall until spring. And this olive set is definitely going to be added to my rotation.
As usual, you can download the hat and cowl patterns by clicking the links at the top of this page or by visiting the free patterns page.
I knit the hat in both the Lion Brand Pound of Love (pumpkin spice color) and the Basic Stitch Anti Pilling (the olive green set). This is the first time I’ve used the Basic Stitch yarn, and I decided to use it to make the cowl after knitting both hats because I really like the weight and feel of the Basic Stitch yarn. You could use almost any wool, wool-blend, or acrylic worsted or aran weight yarn with this pattern and get great results. If you prefer other fibers, you may want to knit a swatch of the trellis pattern in the round to make sure you get gauge and that it behaves (drapes, fits) in a way that works for you.
For this pattern, I made the cowl to measure 15 1/2″ wide (31″ circumference) by 16″ tall. This cowl would be fairly easy to customize. Each repeat of the trellis pattern is just about 1 1/2″ wide and 2 3/4″ tall. So if you have a favorite cowl, you could measure that as a template and then cast on the number of stitches that will give your desired circumference and knit the number of twisted trellis pattern repeats that get you to your preferred length.
- Skill level: Beginner-Intermediate
- Skills needed: Knitting in the round, slipping stitches, twisting stitches, k2tog and p2tog decreases
- Hat Sizing: Teen/Small Adult (Medium Adult, Large Adult)
- Circumference: stretches to fit 18” (20 ½”, 23”) head circumference
- Height: 7”, (7 ½”, 8”)
- Cowl Sizing: One Size/ Adult
- Circumference: 32”
- Height: 15
- Hat Materials:
- US 8/ 5mm 16” circular needle and double-pointed needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 130, (150, 180) yards aran weight yarn. Shown in Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti Pilling (185 yds, 100 g., 100% acrylic), olive, 1 skein.
- Stitch Marker
- Yarn needle
- Cowl Materials:
- US 8 (5.0 mm) 24” circular needles
- 370 yards aran weight yarn. Shown in Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti Pilling (185 yds, 100 g., 100% acrylic), olive, 2 skeins.
- Stitch Marker
- Yarn needle
This free pattern can be downloaded using the buttons at the top of this page, or on the free patterns page. As always, I’d love to see your projects – please tag me (@knitmckinley on instagram) or use the #knitmckinley hashtag on instagram.